I helped someone today. It didn't take very long, but it has made me feel really good. I recently was bombarded with work. Workshop to prepare for (it's on Wednesday, the 12th!), paper to write, and even more so, my freakin' masters proposal!
But I told myself, no. I don't want to turn into a cold, unfeeling robot whose only goal is to achieve aim after aim, pushing everyone away. I refuse to be like that. I can't be like that. I would rather take ages to complete my masters and still be myself than to do it in a flash and lose myself, lose the people around me. And worse still, be distant from my God. I can't bring myself to do that. So I told myself.. ok, I'll be myself. I'll do the little things that makes my life what it is, and I help anyone who wants me to help. It'll take time, but it'll make Grace.. well, Grace.
So today, I was doing my work outside the library. Initially not a soul was in sight. Until this lady came up to me and asked
"Hello, do you know if anyone teaches how to do alignment for the thesis?"
At first I thought that perhaps she didn't have the thesis manual. I tried searching for the thesis manual, and then she told me she had the thesis manual, but still did not understand how to do it. So in an instant, I opened my Microsoft Word and showed her step by step how to do it.
I could have conveniently told her "I don't think there are classes for this" and watch her sadly walk away. But I didn't. I couldn't bring myself to do that. She had a confused, lost look on her face. She looked worried. And perhaps it reminded me of myself.
When I was doing my thesis, I didn't know how to do all the stupid alignment and justification and whatever nonsense. But I was savvy enough to be able to explore and find out how to do it. But this lady clearly didn't know how to do it, and I was determined to impart what I learnt to her so that she could complete her task. After teaching her for around 10-15 mins she said thank you and walked away.
I know that perhaps I'm never going to see her again. Ever. But it's ok. I helped someone today, and that makes all the difference. At least I know, hey... I'm still... Grace :)
No comments:
Post a Comment