Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gideon

I was never familiar with the story of Gideon, but as I was reading a devotional today, that story sparked my utmost interest. I could relate to this guy named Gideon.

You see, when God chose Gideon to fight for Israel, Gideon admitted that his tribe was the most insignificant of all, and worse still, he was the most insignificant one of his family. Wow, double insignificance. Maybe in all of human's wisdom, one wouldn't choose Gideon to save the nation. Would you? I probably choose someone like Goliath. But then again, God knows best. Anyway, so there this insignificant guy was chosen, and when he went to battle.. he initially had 32,000 men. Not bad right?
But God didn't want all of 32,000 men. He wanted less.

Ok, if I was Gideon, I'd probably start to panic. Like now.

Anyway, so Gideon did ask the rest to leave and was now only down with 10,000. Still ok but weaker. Not to mention, Gideon is insignificant in himself. But guess what? God wanted EVEN LESS!

So as I read on, I realized that Gideon was eventually left with only 300 men. Going to war with 300 men!

But the reason why God wanted them to only be left with 300 men is so that they couldn't boast. They couldn't brag that they did it with their own strength. And with 300 men, they won the battle. Which honestly couldn't happen if not for the Almighty!


And I thought to myself. I am like Gideon. I am insignificant. I don't have much brains, nor strength nor even goals and outlook. I can name a lot of other people I know who are many times better than me. And here I am faced with this battle. I know most people won't call a postgrad degree a battle, but TRUST ME, it is! Anyway, yes.. I have been feeling rather useless lately, not accomplishing what I want. But yet, as I read about Gideon, I realized that God can do the impossible. So what if I'm not smart? So what if I'm insignificant? I have a mighty God! His wisdom surpasses anyone and everyone on this planet!

This battle belongs to Him. I am just but a vessel. Like Gideon. Slowly but surely, I will defeat the giants that are up against me. One at a time.

So if you think you are up against giants, do not fret. God is with you :) And He is all the weapon you will ever need.

No comments: