Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Malaysian in Australia

I shouldn't go for vacations often. Seriously. I was so happy that I lost weight while on vacation, but the minute I came back from Malaysia, I started eating like crazy. I miss my sambal belacan and nasi beriyani, rendang, etc I guess... ugh. There goes my diet. It's weird isn't it? People put on weight while on vacation.. I put on weight after a vacation. Like my friend Julianne from Sydney said,"Grace, you're too Malaysian.. it's sick."
So I'm a sick, overly Malaysian girl.. well, for one, the sick part is right.. I did get sick anyway. It's a good thing it's not some fever (since there's the whole swine flu problem), but just some stuffy nose. But hey.. did you know that the people I met think Malaysians are kinda cool?! My sis and I were sitting at this table during Marianne's wedding reception in Sydney and this guy was talking to two other kids (teenagers, but still kids to me) and he was reading out the menu.. and asked the kids "How do you say it in Malaysian?" I was like pleasantly surprised.. since when is speaking like a Malaysian actually cool? Also, the two Malaysians (my sis and I) were the only two people who were downing the bowl full of sliced red chillis.. and the rest of the people were looking at us eating the red chillis as if we were doing it for their amusement.. they started asking a whole lot of questions about our weird eating habits (weird to them, usual for us..).
See! Being too Malaysian isn't that bad after all.. at least we were deemed cool by the people at our table.. haha. But I'm glad to be back home. I've had enough of getting lost in the city of Sydney, eating bread and drowning in a crowd full of Chinese people in Sydney (yup, and I actually was starting to if I really was in Australia)..

No comments: