I was thinking, if everyone had the responsibility to live up to their name... what would it be like? Of course, you can't live up to a name like 'Apple' (you can't act more apple than you are) or 'Seven' (how can someone be very seven?) but... like... Grace. Now, someone I just met the other day, when I told him my name is Grace, he told me "Wow, a girl with a big name".. and I thought to myself, yeah, since I was named Grace.. I should strive to be more gracious, graceful and everything Grace. Or if your name is Victor.. you would try to be victorious in everything right? Or if you're named after a great person, you would still want to live up to that good name..
I used to hate my name. When I was very young, like 6 or 7... my friends would laugh at my name. Most of my friends who were Chinese used to laugh at me because I wasn't known by a Chinese name, and others just couldn't pronounce my name properly. Up to now, there are still people who can't pronounce my name.. but it's a lot better than before (at least it's easy to spell!). And then when I was in secondary school, I had a principal named Mrs. Gracie.. and actually, Gracie is a nickname which I'm known by. Unfortunately, Mrs. Gracie wasn't popular at all (if you get what I mean).. and yet again, I was teased because of my name. So I wasn't a very big fan of my own name.. But as I grew older, I realized the beauty of my name.. the name which I grew to love, the name which is the symbol of all things gentle and good, the name I can proudly call my own, and a name people are envious of! Still, it's a big name to live up to... and damn am I trying my best.
No comments:
Post a Comment