Don't get me wrong, my job does not suck. It just has humbled me.. in a good way. All my years of being an undergraduate, there was never a daunting task for me.. well, there were a few, but not to the point where I went "Whoa". Since I was studying language, and my proficiency was better than average, I had no problems coping with assignments, even when it came to writing my thesis (since I was under the very best advisor).
Why has this job humbled me then? Is it that tough? No, actually it isn't tough. All I have to do is read, summarize, extract info, and search for relevant materials. But come to think of it, when you job requires you to read and it exposes you to the geniuses in the field with ever so bombastic vocabulary and jargon.. sometimes I just go "Huh?" and feel stupid when I have to read the article more than once in order to truly understand. It's the very-vunerable-me against the language giants.. who do you think will win? But then again, I have learnt a lot, not only about plagiarism.. but I have widen my vocabulary as well! I would underline whatever words I have never seen before and go look it up in the dictionary. And I got so used to it that now, I keep a notebook just for the new words I learnt. :) Good habit, in my opinion. Oh yeah, and have you heard? I now officially love idomatic expressions too! LOL.
Another part of my job that is humbling is my boss. In case you're wondering, she's not mean to me.. she does not criticize me.. in fact, she makes me feel appreciated and also expresses it, so I'm not humbled in that way. It is being in her company that has humbled me. Imagine, being in the company of a person who speaks close to perfect English, and who is probably analyzing everything you say (she's a discourse analyst and a linguist..lol). So yeah, when I'm with her, I'll have to think whether what I say make sense to her grammatically, semantically, and pragmatically (after all, she is a linguist). Sounds like a tiresome task (which actually isn't), but it has improved my usage of the language and my pronunciation a lot more. Dr. Ummul, however, is still fun to be with and talk to :)
There you have it, my job as a research assistant. Who would have thought it would change my life for the better! :) I couldn't ask for more. (especially not for a raise, since my boss' grant is limited..hahaha)
No comments:
Post a Comment