Today was one of the worst days in the last 3 months. Now, I'm not gonna say worst day EVER, because I believe I have had it worst. But it's the worst day ever since I've started my job as an editor.
Being relatively new to the job, there are many things about printing and editing that I don't know. And the weird thing is, nobody really spent the time teaching me those things. I was just under instruction and doing what I told to do. To my horror, I made the gravest mistake I think I'll make for the longest time.
But allow me to digress.. at least a little. In printing, there's a term and mark called crop mark. Well, as you might already guess, the mark is there to indicate where the machine will crop the piece of paper. The only person who ever bothered to train me was, ironically, one person whom I thought hated me from day one. Anyway, I was taught by her to draw lines joining the crop marks at each edge to view where and which part of the illustration or document that will be cropped (and it also determines the exact size of the book). Anyway, so today, I realised that in many of the book covers the pictures had crop marks at weird places and brought that up to one of my superiors. She did not even bother to look at me and mumbled something in Chinese saying "What about the previous copies? Did they crop at the same place? If they did, then just follow." Here I am trying to do a good job, and I was brushed aside. Great, why did I even care in the first place? Just when I decided not to care anymore, this verse came to mind...
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Col 3:23-24
Then I realized God was trying to tell me that I serve HIM not them. So I persevered and kept trying my best. Unfortunately, my best wasn't good enough. But more on that later.
Ok, so there's a strict policy on talking during office hours. With Mani next to me, I usually talk to him about work most of the time. But people, especially my superiors, think we're talking about other stuff. I am doubtful when it comes to my own work, and I usually need to confirm with others like Mani and Malcolm. True, I know I'm good in English, but I can never be to sure. So, I have a bad rep because of that and my manager has addressed it. But what am I to do??! And Malcolm's another one. He usually comes to talk to me, sometimes to complain about work, sometimes to discuss work. And of course, since the people in the office think we're sorta kinda "dating" (which isn't true at all), all the more they won't believe that we're talking about work. ANYWAY, I digressed again *but in any case, it is relevant to the rest of the story*...
So, after the whole crop mark issue... I was told to send the thing for filming. Get this, once it is filmed, it is final. And any other mistakes will cost the company pure cash. And that was the problem. I was proofreading the covers. Having so many things to look at, I failed to notice the fine print below that was suppose to be in English but turned out to be in Malay. Out of 12 films, I had to sent 8 back. That, apparently, will cost the company hundreds.
So, it's my fault. I did not see it. I am not going to deny that. I know people will blame me, and I know I would have to meet my superiors tomorrow. More than one. And I would have to defend myself. But I am not going to hide. I am not going to say it's not my fault. I will take full responsibility. Even if it means paying the company back. I will take responsibility. It's only right...
I know that even through this, God can shine through. I am not going to ask God to spare me from the consequences, but all I ask is that God grant me the strength, His power, His wisdom and most of all.. His precious presence. And I know He WILL BE THERE. He will never forsake me. He has never forsook me. And He never will.
So tomorrow.. instead being a coward and not going to work, I will face the music. Yes, on most occasions I am timid and gullible and easily frightened. But somehow, when it comes to big issues like these I do not run. And I thank God for His power and courage. I don't know what will happen tomorrow but I do know is that whatever it is, I want to make my Lord proud by doing the right thing. I want to glorify Him even in this trying time.
To God be the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment