Society these days will tell you: yes, everyone is beautiful in his/her own way. BUT you must be slim, BUT you must have a beautiful body, BUT you must be pretty enough to be seen by the world.
When I was younger, I use to think I was ugly. Actually, I wasn't the only one. Others did too. I remember one day, I was in moral class when I was picked to become a girl named "Jasmine". This other girl, L told me straight in the face "Such nice pretty name, but such an ugly girl". Honestly, that really hurt me. It hurt me so much that I went to my mom and ask "Mom, am I ugly?" But of course my mom said a big NO! But I still felt I was ugly. Fat and ugly.
I have no idea why I did not try dieting though. Why I never tried to stop eating all together. Maybe I admitted defeat. I didn't know what to do. I accepted the fact that I, Grace, was ugly and there's nothing I could do about it. I always told people that everyone is beautiful. But at the back of my mind, I almost never believed it. Until that fateful day.....
I was just lying on my bed and lazing around. Never knew something good could come out of lazing, eh? Anyway, yes.. something made me look at my palms.. those lines... and then I looked at my fingerprints.. those perfect round circles. Then, Psalm 139 came to mind:
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
It hit me. God drew those lines on my palm. He drew those circles on my fingers. Then, I looked into the mirror, which I usually don't do. I saw the very eyes that God colored brown, I saw the very face, nose and ears that God lovingly shaped. He knitted skin on my flesh and added the perfect tone to them
It was then that I realized. I'm a masterpiece. There is no one else like me. I'm special. And I'm very much loved by the One who made me.
You are beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Those people should see themselves for who they are and how God made them. So hold your head high and face the world :)
No comments:
Post a Comment