I spent a weekend full of madness in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. But I just realized one fact, as much as KL is cool and home to loads of awesome concerts, it is also just home to the most massive traffic congestion in Malaysia. I wouldn't dare say it has the most world-class traffic congestion since I've been to Beijing, but KL wins hands down in that department when it comes to the country of Malaysia. Not that it's something to be proud of though.
Most of my time was spent in MidValley Mega Mall where my hotel is situated as well. And since it was as congested (if not more congested) on the inside of the mall as it is on the roads, I just stayed put. No point of having to go somewhere less congested, because chances are, it'll be just as bad.
I was actually hopeful. I wanted to watch a movie, have nice meals, buy nice things. But the minute I opened the door that connected my hotel to the mall, reality set in. There was massive lines of people everywhere. People queing up to get their cash from the atm machine, people standing in queue for a cup of coffee (that would be me as well), people standing in queue for almost everything and anything.
It was a culture shock for me; this place was in my own country, the people speak just the way I do, I could blend right into the crowd, but yet I felt like I didn't fit in - at all. So, I scrap plans of watching a movie, I hardly had a good meal due to the massive crowds in ALL of the good restaurants, I hardly got to sit down on the benches as well, since they were all occupied. It was a nightmare, I was missing Johor Bahru so badly. So JB is full of crime, so they say almost everything in JB is bad... so what? I'll go crazy if I had to go through those crowds and congestion day in and day out. GOSH!
So, that was the weekend spent. I'm glad I'm home, I'm glad I'm back in my JB, where it's not too busy and yet not too quiet. It's an imperfect city, and yet, it's where I truly belong :)
No comments:
Post a Comment