You might have heard of the movie. You might have watched it. But in case you haven't, do not fret! It has nothing to do with it anyway. But I'd give a very very quick preview on the movie. Just because.
The clash of the titans is about the clash between the Greek titans, who are Greek gods. The most powerful of the lot, though, are just three - Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. But then again...like I've mentioned, this has got nothing to do with Greek gods in anyway.
Most people in my company are Chinese speakers. Like serious Chinese language speakers. They don't (and I repeat.. DON'T) speak English. But, a lot of books are written in English. That's where people like me, come into the picture. I hve plenty of grouses about that.. but I'd leave that for another time.
So, since most of them speak Chinese, it does not come as a surprise that the English language speakers are the minority.Let me give you a clue. It's a single digit. And it's less than 5. It's only 4! And yes, that includes me. Ironically though, the 2 more formidable ones work closely with me.. we have the same superiors, sometimes we work together on the same project. So needless to say, 3 of us are pretty close knit (Come on.. they're all I've got!).
However, there's one thing we like to do. That is to challenge each other. The three English language Titans of Pelangi clash daily due to vocabulary and grammar. Here are the four Titans:
King Malcolm Mejin aka King Solomon - the most formidable of the lot. Is victorious 99% of the time. Is usually the peacemaker/deciding factor in King Mani and Queen Grace's battles (hence the nickname King Solomon) rather than a participant.
King Mani Rajan - Is constantly being challenged Is victorious 90% of the time.
Queen Grace Koh - Is more formidable than King Mani, but not as good as King Malcolm (darn!). Is victorious 95% of the time, but is secretly training to become more formidable than King Malcolm.
King "Mr. Siew" (no idea what his full name is..LOL) - Is well-known for highly technical skills. Is usually just the go-to guy. Since he is not of the same continent as the other 3, he is never involved in any of their battles.
There you have it. The English Language Titans of Pelangi Publishing Group. And honestly, I have to admit... I am loving the battles. Every one of them. Mani sits in the desk next to mine and I'm constantly testing him. Malcolm isn't on the same floor, but he's my good friend whom I spend every lunchtime with (we talk about other stuffs though). I love to challenge him and find out how much he really knows about the language. And when it comes to English, we're both (Malcolm and I) very defensive.. LOL. But I'm glad I have the other 2 guys.. they make my stay in boring Pelangi so fun. They never fail to keep me on my toes. :)
I foresee new battles tomorrow. Minus King Malcolm though. He'll be in the other Pelangi planet called Bangi. So it's just Mani and me then. And maybe, if we're really frustrated with the day's work... we'll rope in good ol' Mr. Siew for good measure.
No comments:
Post a Comment