Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The real McSoy

My life may be mundane and boring, but once in awhile, I get excited over some new "project". This one's called "Project Soy". While mom was at the hairdresser, I was at the supermarket across the street. As usual, I'll always be at baking stuff, and while walking about, I found soy bean. I thought to myself, since the soy bean milk sold at the supermarkets are too sweet, maybe I can attempt at making my own! So, today.. that's what I did. And it's so simple and quick!







So this is the packet of soy beans that I bought















And after soaking overnight (for at least 8 hours), my rounded soy beans became longish!








Placing it into a blender, with a sieve, I then place 1/4 of the beans with about  almost 1 L of water (it was actually too much water), and blended it for 1 min. I poured it out into a medium pot, and then poured a little more water and blended it again.













I then sieved the liquid into a medium pot and threw in 1 pandan (screw pine) leaf. I then boiled it on medium heat. The initial instructions stated that I had to boiled it for 20 mins, but mom said once it is boiling hot, it'll be good for drinking. 





Ahh the final product! I added some brown sugar to it and it was lovely. A little diluted though.








It took me hardly an hour to make a pot of soy bean milk, less hassle than expected, and I'll definitely make it again (I still have 3/4 of the beans left).  In the words of Borat.. "Great success!"

Thanks to Littlegastronomy for the step-by-step instructions:
http://littlegastronomy.blogspot.com/2008/03/pure-soya-milk.html


And now, it's time to come back to reality and hit the books...

No comments: