Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Flattering Dilemma part 2

This is a continuation of the previous post. Actually, it shouldn't be the part two of a flattering dilemma because it is no longer a dilemma. And so.. *drum rolls* I'm taking part in the conference! I'm excited, honestly :) So, as what I always like to do.. here's the conversation between me (G) and my boss (U):

Grace walks into Dr. Ummul's office...

G: I've decided!
U: What's that?
G: I'm gonna do the conference thingy.
U: Ok! So what are you gonna do about it?
G: LOL, what am I suppose to do?
U: write your abstract.
G: which includes........??
U: It'll be different from the abstract of your thesis though, *tells the gist of the abstract*
G: Ok.. writing isn't a problem. I'm afraid my mind goes blank during the presentation.
U: I'll help you present the difficult part, but you'll have to explain the data.
G: *big smile on her face* YOU WILL BE THERE??? :))))
U: If you want me to be, yeah.. :D I'll hold your hand until you can soar. But you'll have to include my name in it.
G: Oh sure!! :D
U: When's the conference?
G: Uh... June 11-13
U: Oh, I can't,I'll be away..
G: HUH?! :( Man..... Oh well, it's ok.. I'm a nobody, so even if I screw up, it's ok.
U: Oh you can't screw up. *G looks puzzled* Not when my name is in it.
G: Your name will be in the paper? :)))
U: yeah, if you want it to be :)
G: Of course!!! But then I have to present it on my own..........
U: Come on, it'll be easy. I chose you because you have potential.
G: You see something in me?!
U: *smiles* well, you're Grace.

*pause*

G: but seriously, you see potential in me?! Gosh, that's something worth wondering about!
U: *smiles* Yeah. I don't just ask anybody to present a paper, you know. What you did was good.
G: Wow, who would have thought, me. You see something in me. LOL!!!

Anyway, the rest is history. I have a very possible publication coming my way, and it's really overwhelming. Who would have thought that I would be writing a paper with the professor whom I respect the most. Oh gosh! Feels like a dream! :)

No comments: